.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Oracle Sponge -- Now Moved To Wordpress

Please use http://oraclesponge.wordpress.com

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

What's Wrong With Opera?

Not the musical form, obviously there's nothing wrong with that at all.

The browser is very nice, but I can't read the Oracle forums with it. If I go here then clicking on any link takes me here. Opera also doesn't display the little images that are scattered all around the page, and I get a bunch of rectangles with text in them. Internet Explorer doesn't have this problem, nor the issues that I wrote about in Firefox the other day (heresy, I know).

Why is reading HTML and following links so difficult? You'd imagine that they'd have it close to working by now. Well, maybe there's some configuration thing that needs to be done to the browser, but I'm not sure why I should have to spend my time messing about with this kind of crap.

OK, I promise to write something later this week about a technology that I do like. Um ....

3 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Blogger David Aldridge said...

"Probably my own fault ..."

At risk of confirming the "cantakerous" label, I'd contend that it's not like we're talking about the difference between read consistency mechanisms in different RDBMS's here though, where the developer has to take account of them in designing an application. This is just making stuff appear on a screen in some intended fashion.

* sigh *

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger William Robertson said...

If only there was an industry standard for HTML (and an online validity checker).

Although it does seem odd that Opera can't display the page and all the others can (including outsiders like Omniweb and Camino, I notice) this type of issue can be like those "my package won't compile in 9i when it worked perfectly in 8i" problems, where the code depended on a bug in the first place. How far a browser should be expected to go in supporting pages that depend on buggy behaviour in other browsers is debatable (obviously a little further would be nice in this particular case).

Not being a web developer I wouldn't like to speculate on how the Jive forum software works, but the OTN page you mentioned appears to be highly dynamic, and all the link URLs are of the form "thread.jspa?threadID=377039&tstart=0", so presumably something is failing to connect to the server process that serves up the pages, or not submitting the request as expected, or being thrown by something in the response. That may be Opera's fault, but it is not a simple matter of a crap browser failing to read HTML and follow links.

btw Opera the musical form really is crap.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger David Aldridge said...

Rumour has it that there's an industry standard for SQL also ... :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home