.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Oracle Sponge -- Now Moved To Wordpress

Please use http://oraclesponge.wordpress.com

Thursday, March 16, 2006

A New Arrival

My new (used) Poweredge 6400 arrived today -- a new dawn of technical complexity, electrical power consumption and noise pollution has arrived in the Sponge household.

The first technical challenge is what name to give to the machine? In accordance with my own conventions it has to be that of a London train station, and because it is short, wide, and dressed in black I immediately thought it looks like a Victoria. Unfortunately I already have one of those, so I think it'll have to be "Waterloo".

It'll be a fine chance to give a brief history lesson on the Empire's Days of Glory to my mob of ungrateful foreign colonial children.

9 Comments:

At 1:02 PM, Blogger Thomas Kyte said...

My dell poweredge is very nicely named....

dellpe

I am so original. Next one will likely be....

dellpe2

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger David Aldridge said...

Doug, yes it inspired the thought that I need a quad box to properly haul your theories over hot coals, lest I be accused of being a PC-based script kiddie :D

Tom, what o/s are you running on your imaginatively named PE? I had a successful installation of Solaris 10 on an old commodity PC yesterday evening, and was considering that or Whitebox. thoughts?

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger David Aldridge said...

I think the problem with Solaris 10 would be driver support -- it's not on the official o/s list for these servers so I can't imagine there being much demand.

h'mmm, Centos ... *strokes-chin* ... interesting ...

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

It probably says something about me that I'll regret later, but I name my machines after my pets that have since moved on.

 
At 6:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking at the calendar, you could call it 'Patrick' or simply 'Guiness' ;))

Cheers.

Carlos.

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger David Aldridge said...

Centos Shmentos ... this is very confusing.

i'll write a new post on the nextdevelopments, 'cos it's going to be a long one otherwise.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Thomas Kyte said...

I am running Red Hat AS 4.0, installed very nicely.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Niall said...

mornington, clearly is the only appropriate choice for a machine that needs to conform to unspoken arbitrary rules.

Niall

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger David Aldridge said...

Tsh tsh Niall, the first rule of Mornington Crescent is that you don't talk about Mornington Crescent. Except under the Swedish Inversion Rule, naturally.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home