.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Oracle Sponge -- Now Moved To Wordpress

Please use http://oraclesponge.wordpress.com

Monday, April 03, 2006

What's Wrong With Firefox?

A number of things.

  1. On one of my machines it consistently refuses to open particular web sites. http://www.dbdebunk.com/index.html is one of them -- IE has no problem, Opera has no problem. No error message, nothing. It just seems to pretend that I haven't asked it do do anything.
  2. It's a resource hog. Memory usage often tops 150Mb, and can only be reduced by stopping and restarting it. If my machine startys running slowly then I know where to look -- Firefox is sitting and chewing up CPU cycles to no apparant effect.
  3. It's unstable. I generally get four or five crashes a week, and they're not associated with having a lot of windows or tabs open either.

It didn't used to be this bad, and it seems to be getting worse. AdBlock has been the only reason to keep using it, but that's not enough anymore. I'd actually rather have adverts on the page than put up with the all of Firefox's crap .

9 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Blogger Eddie Awad said...

I use Firefox 1.5.0.1.

I am able to browse http://www.dbdebunk.com/index.html without a problem.

I do not remember when the last time FF crashed on me.

As far as memory usage, it's a feature.

 
At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Firefox Memory Leak is a Feature, not a bug. Plus: do you have an up-to-date version of Adblock? Older version cause severe memory leaks, see the Firefox Memory FAQ.

As for stability: what happens if you remove all extensions? Firefox 1.5.0.1 has been stable for me for a long time - if I use it without unstable extensions.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Mark Brady said...

I just like Opera for some reason.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger David Aldridge said...

Only one of my machines has the "refuse to read" problem ... others are fine. But on that one machine a reinstall only fixes it for a week or so.

At the moment I've switched to Opera. Doubtless something about Opera will piss me off in a few months, and then I'll be ready to look at FF again. I'm fickle like that ... but I'll keep those links and hints in mind when I do.

Thanks guys.

 
At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no problem using firefox to see DBDebunk site. I am using 1.5.0.1 with many extensions. Try using that with a different/new profile without any extension. You can create a new profile by starting "firefox -profilemanager". Then use the "Create New Profile" option.

>>> As far as memory usage, it's a feature.

That's quite helpful in understanding firefox memory usage. Thanks

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

1.5.0.1 here. No problems with http://www.dbdebunk.com/index.html ever. You're worrying about 150M of RAM? Doesn't the PE2 have at least 2G RAM?

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger David Aldridge said...

The CPU is more of a problem than the RAM, but I find the RAM problem to just be offensive ... when I ran Oracle XE on Centos on my laptop it used less memory than an application which simply reads and displays web pages ... tsh.

All these comments on "I can view that website!" are just strengthening my opinion that there's nothing wrong with the site (which I already knew) and that there is something going on with Firefox that in all probability will never be understood. When technology gets mysterious, it's time to change ...

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Bill S. said...

Using Firefox Version 1.0.6, everything is fine. I had originally installed 1.0.7 at home, and it immediately fried itself and would not load. So I back-leveled it to 1.0.5 and have not had any problems since.

I feel very comfortable stating that 1.0.7 is not a stable release, and I for one won't be trying to install it again until others have success with it.

 
At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, perhaps Firefox is so "cool" that it knows to reflect the attitude of an ignorant industry to data fundamentals and "bans" dbdebunk out :). I would not be surprised.

I tried Firefox and got rid of it the same day. Could never figure out what was the hype behind it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home