.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Oracle Sponge -- Now Moved To Wordpress

Please use http://oraclesponge.wordpress.com

Friday, July 15, 2005

A Dash Of Theory

Fabian Pascal's latest column in Database Magazine titled "What a Database And a DBMS Are" provides a wholesome broth of theory as an antidote to sloppy practice. We all need a good slapping sometimes, possibly us in the data warehousing world more than most ;) so I'll also just reemphasise my liking for his Database Debunkings site.

I wonder what FB would make of the Wikipedia entries on Relational Database, the Relational Model, and Database Management Systems? I think I'll email him to ask ... wish me luck boys, I'm going in!

6 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't seem to get to the article through the link in this blog.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger David Aldridge said...

Whoops, sorry folks, corrected it.

thanks Warren

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Tim... said...

Looks like Customer has a synthetic key?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relational_model#Example_database

I think I'll ask for a refund from Oracle. Seems it's no better than a flat-file database I could knock up myself. Wikipedia says so :)

Cheers

Tim...

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger David Aldridge said...

Why do the trouble-makers always appear on a friday!

:)

 
At 2:39 AM, Blogger Tim... said...

Nothing better to do :)

 
At 12:23 AM, Blogger Noons said...

Heh! Good to see Fabian at it once again. Someone has to constantly remind these idiots that database theory is NOT something that just got invented!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home