.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Oracle Sponge -- Now Moved To Wordpress

Please use http://oraclesponge.wordpress.com

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

ASM: Hello and godbye

So, my ASM install went tolerably well -- there was the usual bumbling about trying to translate installation instructions aimed at unix into stuff that worked on Windows

Hint to Windows users: when the documentation talks about "Cluster Ready Services" they mean the OracleCSService.

Hint to Oracle: Some people use Windows.

So in the end I had my ASM instance running, a diskgroup created, a tablespace created on it, and Oracle accessing data stored in that tablespace. Technically, a success.

However performance was dreadful -- really horrible. I was getting scattered read wait times an order of magnitude higher than pre-ASM, and because this was just a little exploration of the technology, and quite frankly I could do without the potential hassle of making my technology tower any higher, I canned the project and de-installed the ASM instance. It's not as if it was going to be the answer to any of my problems, because I really don't have any in the area of disk management.

So maybe I'll just take comfort from the idea that I had the common sense not to throw new technologies at a nonexistent problem. Sometimes it's good to just say "no" to these shiny toys.

6 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Blogger Niall said...

You'll have read the platform specific docs (hint se and windows has a quick install guide) and the otn howto (http://www.oracle.com/technology/obe/obe10gdb_vmware/install/racinstallwin2k/racinstallwin2k.htm) right?

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger David Aldridge said...

I think that eventually I read every document on TechNet and MetaLink -- you'll note that the step-by-step guide doesn't mention the OracleCSService either.

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

Hint to Oracle: Some people use Windows.

Hint to Dave: Some people rebuild their indexes every night, it doesn't make it the smart thing to do.

Friends don't let friends run Windoz.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger David Aldridge said...

Hmmm, well until Half-Life 2 is ported to Linux my "development box" will stay on Windows.

Actually it's a "dual-boot" WinXP Pro and SuSe9.1 Pro. The double-quotes are there because SuSe won't start now -- it just hangs on boot. I can't get it to install on VMWare either, and life's too short for fkn around with that kind of crap, to be honest.

I also use enterprise software that either won't run on Linux or for which the license only covers Windows.

I'm not coming across as too defensive here am I, Jeff? (If that is your real name!)

:)

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

I'm not coming across as too defensive here am I, Jeff? (If that is your real name!)
But the question is, am I the real Jeff Hunter?

I don't have anything against Windoz as a boat anchor.

 
At 3:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It doesn't make sense to install ASM on a development machine with maybe five partitions on one disk. ASM will stripe across all its "disks", if you have them as partitions in one or two physical disk you just get heads going back and forth all over the disk(s).
You need a real raid and several disks to test ASM properly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home